Home Forums Chat Li Fraumeni research charities or foundations?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Wot53
    Participant

Hi.

I was wondering what foundations or charities were out there that were focused on research into Li Fraumeni or potential treatments for mutated TP53?

It would be great to build a list based on what people know.

Regards
    Wotsy

PanP
    Keymaster

I think this is a really good idea. Do you have some listed already that we can use to start off with?

Pan

Wot53
    Participant

Sadly I don’t know any, which is why I posted the question. I know there has been TP53 research in many places around the world (perhaps the most studied gene in history) but I could not find anywhere donations could be directed to further this research or specific for Li Fraumeni.

So if anyone has any it would be great to hear.

Wotsy

SKH
    Participant

I would have thought the lfsassociation.org would be the best bet?

SKH

Wot53
    Participant

I have looked at the lfs assoc but it is not clear how the funds are used. I also have found a long time passes before posts are accepted or responded to on their forum, unlike here where you usually get responses.

Do you know of anywhere doing research? Perhaps they might have a grants program or similar I could look into?

Wotsy

PanP
    Keymaster

Well, we intend to be a research charity among other things! For now there seem to be very few groups looking at LFS particularly, rather than at TP53 in general. There’s Farazana Walcott at the NIH running a trial of metfomin in LFS, but other than that the focus in much LFS research is on surveillance protocols (for example the SIGNIFY trial in the UK).

Pan

Wot53
    Participant

If there is not much happening, perhaps a question might be ‘what research should be done’? And then perhaps a research trust can be set up for donations directed at specifically establishing this research and seek donations with a clear use of the funds in mind.

I guess though the big question is what research would be best?

PanP
    Keymaster

I know what I think the most important thing is – research into active cancer-prevention in LFS. This is a big step on from looking only at active surveillance to catch cancer early. This is something that the Trust wants to major on – and which we are gearing up for at the moment…

Pan

Wot53
    Participant

I do wonder if the drugs being developed for cancer treatment where P53 is mutated have potential to be a low dose preventative regime for Li Fraumeni TP53 cases. Perhaps depends on the nature of the genetic mutation as to which drug would work. Eg COTI-2, P28 peptide.

Also I have seen some research around understanding the mechanism of action for Metformin, but it seems to suggest it is a mTOR inhibitor. If so you would think it only helpful if that pathway is implicated in the tumour genesis. But of course it can be other pathways. Perhaps the future preventative regime will be a bit of a cocktail of blockers and/or activating agents.

I would be interested to understand your thoughts and what you might be thinking in regards to the brief for the research you are exploring.

Wotsy

PanP
    Keymaster

It’s a sijmple idea really. Science is uncovering more and more functions of TP53 over and above the apoptopic machinery. I want to figure out how these apply to LFS and cancer, and then with that see what interventions are required to reduce the risk of carcinogenesis.

Pan

SKH
    Participant

Pan have you talked to the LFS.org about your ideas?
    SKH

PanP
    Keymaster

You mean http://www.lfsassociation.org/? I haven’t had contact with anybody associated with them for a while – which is silly really. I’ll drop them a line – their website has come on a long way since I last looked at it.

Have you, or any other forum member, had much contact with them?

Pan

SKH
    Participant

I’ve tried but the forum doesn’t put your posts up for months which is hopeless. However I wonder if they would support your endeavours in the uk
    SKH

PanP
    Keymaster

I’ll try and see how far I get…

Pan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.