Home Forums Introductions Hello

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    foxy
    Participant

Hello,

I only just found this site by accident although it looks very interesting.

I was diagnosed with LFS towards the end of last year. On my fathers side all his family passed from cancer and I certainly know it went back to the previous generation as well. In my generation I had a sister who had breast cancer twice although she was lucky enough to catch it in time on both occasions for surgical options. Unfortunately I also had a brother who passed away last year from a rare cancer.

It was after my brothers diagnosis that the rest of the family was tested and all the children in my generation were positive for LFS. I have a number of cousins also diagnosed as positive for LFS. I had been given my diagnosis from a “genetic counselor” and I was made feel like it was a death sentence and they were very negative about my ability to do anything other than sit and wait……..

I have been through the Signify study and had a full body MRI which was uncomfortable but not painful and so far all is okay, although I was sent after for a catscan to check out a specific area.

Along my research into the area I found 2 particular things that I fell help me “live” with this condition. Although I would prefer to not have LFS, I see it as only one aspect of what can effect cancer development – from what I understand it does not cause cancer, it merely reduces your ability to deal with cancerous cells. So for me, the battle is to stop those cells from developing in the first place. I see your genetics as only one part of the problem. As we currently cannot change our genes, I focus on reducing all the other risk factors.

My strategy has been to get fit and healthy, cut out as many carcinogens from my lifestyle as I can and try and lead a healthy and happy life. Since being diagnosed I dropped 2.5 stone in weight through exercise and am now in a normal BMI. I get plenty of exercise and fresh air. I do not smoke (never have), nor do I drink alcohol anymore. I stay covered up in the sun etc. and I practice yoga to make sure I have very little stress in my life.

So to help me along the way I first came across a very good book that opened my eyes to some of the ways I can fight cancer by preventing it from developing in the first place. It was called “Anticancer: A new way of life”. It was written by a doctor who had cancer and a relapse. It documents his journey and all the research into this area and how he made changes to his life. I found it very interesting and empowering. The basic premise is that there are certain foods that are cancer causing (carginogens) and certain foods that are cancer preventers. The idea is to make your body as hostile a place for cancer to develop as you can through what you eat 3 times a day. You are fighting cancer with every bite you eat. There are also a number of lifestyle factors and the results of studies that are empowering – studies of twins seperated at birth etc and showing that cancer is more to do with environmental factors than genetic factors.

The other resource I have been using is a website called marksdailyapple.com . He is a proponent of what he calls “The primal diet” – basically try to eat as a cavemen would have. The premise is similar to the book I suggested. Modern farming and food production techniques have compromised our immune systems and are responsible for a rise in illnesses like cancer throughout the developed world. While not focusing purely on cancer, there is a number of articles on different natural prevention techniques.

I have tried to incorporate a lot of what I learned from these two resources into my lifestyle. I do not know if they will ultimately change anything but at least I feel like I have a fighting chance by doing this.

Finally I would just like to mention that I think the Signify study is a fantastic idea. With cancer the earlier you catch anything the higher the potential for survival and it is great that I have been included in something that will aide in this area.

PanP
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard.

I think your positive attitude is great and agree that LFS doesn’t necessarily have to be seen as a death sentence. I really think that as time goes on we will uncover strategies to massively reduce the cancer risk for LFS sufferers.

I also agree with you about David Servan-Schreiber’s book ([url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0718156846/454]Anticancer: A New Way of Life[/url]), It’s really inspirational and contains a great mix of science, practical wisdom and interesting ideas.

I have to admit I’ve not really heard much about the diet you’re following. I think a healthy diet, especially a low-carb and anti-inflammatory diet, is a great idea for everyone, but especially those at heightened risk of developing cancer.

Pan

PanP
    Keymaster

I think that you have right.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.